2086 Society Request for Proposals
2086 Society Request for Proposals on “The Role of the Advisor in Fostering Family Enterprise Governance Durability”
There is a common perception that family enterprises and their governance practices are more durable than their non-family-owned counterparts. However, much of the governance advice that families have adopted has been given during times of relative external stability, and are largely structural (establish a family council, for example). What happens when there is a sudden shift and all bets are off? This research project seeks to explore key factors that contribute to family enterprise governance durability and how times of crisis impact these governance practices.
Possible Areas of Investigation
- Does family enterprise governance durability vary depending on the type of crisis (i.e. a purely financial crisis vs. a pandemic or societal upheaval)?
- What is the role of family leaders to ensure governance durability during unpredictable times?
- During a crisis, what governance practices do family enterprises find most valuable and which practices do they set aside?
- How does enterprise governance accelerate or hinder sound decision making in a time of crisis?
- Does private or public ownership of the family enterprise impact the durability of its governance systems?
- What are the key policies that family enterprises should enact to bolster the durability of their governance systems?
- How can technology improve the durability of family enterprise governance?
Who is eligible to apply?
Applications from educational institutions, family enterprise organizations, family offices, and multi-generational companies as well as individual advisors, consultants, and researchers from across the globe are eligible to apply. Applications should be submitted in English.
- Proposal Deadline: September 15, 2020 (midnight EDT)
- Anticipated Full Proposal Notification Date: October 15, 2020
Anticipated Period of Performance: November 1, 2020 through October 31, 2021 (projects may be shorter but not longer than one years)
Expected Approximate Monetary Range of Grants
Individual projects requesting up to $30,000 for a one-year project period will be considered.
Grant funding distributed following execution of a fully signed Letter of Agreement.
How to Submit
Complete all required sections of the online application – incomplete applications will not be reviewed. If you encounter any technical difficulties with the website, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMPORTANT: Applications submitted after the due date will not be reviewed by the 2086 Society.