Miami Conference: Call For Proposals
Call for Proposals
The New Frontier: Disruption and co-creation in the field of family enterprise
2019 marks fifty years since “one giant leap” took us to the moon. That race to space was a study in global competition, ingenuity, innovation, embracing risk and imagining the impossible. It was a pioneering time with long lasting impact—more than 63,000 technologies that we still routinely use were discovered and created as the result of these programs. Things such as the computer microchip, CAT scanners, satellite television (and now internet), memory foam, even water filters and scratch resistant lenses, were products of this race to the unknown.
Back on the ground, we also face an unprecedented time of risk and opportunity. Globalization, sustainability demands, technological revolution, demographic changes, inequality, new perspectives, identity redefinition, natural disasters, pandemics, regulation, financial volatility, and medical advances are impacting families, businesses and the global economy. Not only do family enterprises themselves face challenges in this new frontier, so too do the professional advisors and consultants, researchers and academics who work with, in and/or conduct research in this field.
To explore these issues and advance the exciting possibilities of the new frontier, this year’s program committee invites proposals that address:
- Information sharing and digital media openness as they effect family enterprises.
- Medical advances in technology, pharmacology and genomics that increase life expectancy and challenge assumptions of primogenitor.
- Complex sets of ethical and legal issues regarding succession, competency, “bloodline” heredity, genetic screening for potential future disease, and generational conflicts.
- Political changes, global interconnectedness and public policy as they impact family enterprises.
- Is this a VUCA world (volatile, uncertain, complex, ambiguous), or a new frontier? A time to reimagine, realign and redefine the future?
- How we will work together (as advisors, consultants, researchers, academics, and family enterprise members) to co-create the future? Are new disciplines and new definitions and paradigms needed?
The 2019 Conference Committee invites you to “be among the stars” and lend your insight and expertise to these issues. Presentations co-created by practitioners, researchers and family enterprise members are particularly encouraged. Co-creation with presenters outside the traditional family business professions, e.g., law, finance, management and behavior science, are all encouraged. Possibilities include genomics, medicine, public policy, and technology.
Proposals must be submitted by January 15, 2019 at midnight Eastern. Late proposals can not be accepted.