The Evolving Role of Attorneys in the Delivery of Services to Enterprise Families
In conjunction with the FFI 2014 Global Conference — a pre-conference course offered by the
FFI Global Education Network
Wednesday, October 8, 2014
9:00 AM – 4:30 PM
Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill
Washington, DC USA
Several forces are changing opportunities for private wealth attorneys as they engage family enterprises — families with operational or economic ties to one another. Signs of this are evident in the commoditization of private and estate legal services, the difficulty of managing these practices, the rise of litigation in the space, and the challenge in truly differentiating services and adding value beyond the transactional elements of the business.
Leaders in the family enterprise field as well as lawyers from across the globe have called for substantial change in how attorneys are educated — recommending education that evolves their practices beyond the delivery of tax optimization, moving more toward becoming strategic advisors to families around their intellectual, social, financial and human capital.
This course, built by a multidisciplinary group of family wealth and business faculty, provides an introductory grounding in this new form of practice.
CLE CREDITS APPLIED FOR
The objectives for this daylong session include:
- Enhance attorneys’ awareness of the complex professional service needs of families who share business and financial interests.
- Increase visibility into client engagement strategies involving challenging family dynamics, such as poor conflict management.
- Identify blinders affecting attorneys’ abilities to add value to clients beyond legal transactions and planning.
- Learn new engagement practices that support becoming a more durable and valued confidant of the family.
- Identify risks associated with not challenging the way lawyers engage families.
- Develop an understanding of how collaboration among other family enterprise advisors can and will lead to greater client service and not just new sources of referrals
The course will be a mix of lecture, cases and roundtable discussions as well as online modules to be completed in advance.
$2,000 USD non-member of FFI
$1,500 USD member of FFI
Managing Director RayLign Advisory LLC.
Chairman, Peter Leach & Partners Adjunct Professor in Family Business, Imperial College London
Vice President and Principal CFAR
Mary K. Duke, Esq, TEP, CMA
High Road Advisors, LLC
STEP Worldwide (The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners)
McDermott Will & Emery LLP
RMW Law LLP
John Wofford, Esq
The FFI Global Education Network (GEN) is a global forum for teaching and learning offering cutting-edge multidisciplinary courses and world-class certificate programs for family enterprise advisors, consultants, academics, and other professionals.
FFI GEN is the educational arm of the prestigious Family Firm Institute, the leading membership association world- wide for professionals serving the family enterprise field. FFI GEN’s two unique fully online certificates prepare program graduates to provide consulting and advising services to family enterprises.